Hey everyone.
Well, I safely made it out alive from the Australian bush! That trip was no joke. We hiked with our huge packs on for hours and went up really steep hills and climbed through tall grass and all sorts of stuff. Overall, it was a ton of fun.
On the first day we woke up and got the bus at 7:00am. We arrived at Meebunn-Bia around 9:00 and played a few games to get to know every one's name in our group. Once we got our stuff together we started the hike. Initially it wasn't bad at all until we got to this huge hill they told us we were climbing up. It was pretty steep and more like a cliff than a hill. It was an awesome work out and we were definitely tired after. Once we got to the top we stopped for lunch and chatted a bit then we continued the hike. We got to the first campsite and set up our tents which are tarps with rocks and boards holding them down. The first day we also got the chance to do some ropes courses that were a blast. That night we all gathered around the campfire and the showed us how to use the cooking stoves the provided. We saw about 3 possums and were pretty freaked out considering we heard some girl had one crawl across her face in the night the week before. Luckily we didn't have a problem.
The second day we did our navigation exercise. We split into groups of four and were given a map and compasses and had to take bearings and find our way through the bush from marker to marker. It was a lot of work and proved to be harder than it seemed but in the end we made it. We had a little trouble finding our way in the middle but found that the only way to keep a positive attitude while trekking through the weeds that were up to our waste was to laugh and just enjoy it. I have a few battle wounds, scrapes and bruises. I got into a fight with a thorn bush and it won haha. Nothing too serious though. Afterwards we did a few more ropes courses and an awesome zip line I have a video of, I will have on my facebook. They were a lot of fun. The second night we went to another campsite and once we got there we climbed yet another hill to watch the sunset and it was pretty amazing. It definitely made the trip worth all of the sweat, blood and hard work. No possums the second night either, although there were a ton of them around the campsite.
The third day we did a team ropes course along with a free fall exercise which was awesome! It made your stomach drop but it was a ton of fun. Then we started the trek back down to catch the bus and ate lunch along the way. Once we were on the bus we were all happy to be able to go home, take a shower and finally relax. Overall it was definitely a trip to remember.
This week I don't have any huge plans. Class and laying by the pool I'm sure...the usual! Hopefully this weekend we are going to Byron Bay for a night or two. Cairns is fastly approaching, we leave Wednesday morning and I can't wait to Snorkel and Scuba at The Great Barrier Reef!! Hope all is well! Miss you guys!!
Keegs

Keegan the Outdoorsman...who knew?!?! well sounds like an awesome weekend! I had a tooth yanked out emergency style Thursday morning so I've been laying in bed ever since nursing my swollen face! :( So think of me while you're by that pool! Miss you Love you!!
ReplyDelete